You can get a free Team Foundation Service account for teams of up to 5 users, all you need to do is sign up for an account and your ready to go straight away
The benefits of using the cloud based Team Foundation Service are:
- it’s ready to go straight away
- it’s accessible from anywhere
- there’s no hardware infrastructure to manage
- can use existing tools such as Visual Studio
- source control
- manage your code online from anywhere
- continuous unit testing
- manage work items and bugs
- plan projects
- collaborate with your team
If you want on-site Team Foundation capability you could implement Team Foundation Server 2012 Express which is free to use for teams of upto 5 users – see my previous article on this
In order to use the Source Code Control feature of Team Foundation Server 2012 (including Express Edition) with Visual Studio 2005 or Business Intelligence Development Studio 2005 you need to install the following on your client machine:
- An instance of Team Foundation Server 2012 (or Express edition) up and running.
- Visual Studio 205 SP1 / BIDS 2005 SP1
TFS 2012 Team Explorer
Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012 MSSCCI Provider 32-bit
To enable the MSSCCI plug within Visual Studio 2005 / BIDS 2005 go to Tools > Options, find “Source Control” and select the “Team Foundation Server MSSCCI provider”.
Visual Studio Team Foundation Server Express 2012 is a source code control, project management, and team collaboration platform at the core of the Microsoft suite of Application Lifecycle Management tools, which help individuals and small teams of upto 5 developers be more agile, collaborate more effectively, and deliver quality software.
Find out more and download TFS 2012 Express for free here:
Read more about TFS2012 and VS2005 / BIDS2005 Compatibility